[afnog] NTOP

Bruce Zamaere bzamaere at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 20:27:49 SAST 2006

Hi Guys,

>From my little experience! I have experienced the same thing when I tried
running ntop on my gateway (my box has close to 3Gigs of RAM) it does just
that... run for a few minutes and then just dies on me (FYI this has
happened on a CentOS and FC4 box for me). What works for me is to run ntop
on a standalone PC (i.e. the machine is only doing network monitoring
stuff). I agree that ntop is really resource hungry! Of course I must add
that depending on the statistics you want to keep track of you may need to
modify the topology and place the Monitoring PC in an ideal location. For
example on a switched network you may not get interesting stats so I
normally throw in a hub like in the diagram below:

--------------------------------

-------------------------------

                                                            _____|____

 ---------------                          -----------       | Gateway |

                              |  Internal Network  |

I certain won't go anywhere with my ascii art but I hope this helps.

regards,

bruce.