[afnog] NTOP

Martin Hannigan hannigan at renesys.com
Thu Aug 17 16:07:13 SAST 2006

At 09:53 AM 8/17/2006, Antonio Godinho wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Is there a way of running ntop in such a way that it does not consume all
>the memory and then crashes if the traffic is too high? I have noticed that
>it runs fine and collects data in small networks but once I hook it up with
>a high traffic network it just runs for a few seconds, consumes all memory
>and then crashes! The machine I use has a 1GB of RAM and that is totally
>consumed by Ntop.

My experience was the same. NTOP consumed and crashed. I spent a considerable
amount of time trying to fix it and was unsuccessful. After testing 2 or 3,
I did find that nsfen was a much better tool, although NTOP had an easy to
understand graphical presentation.

http://nfsen.sourceforge.net

-M<

--
Martin Hannigan                                (c) 617-388-2663
Renesys Corporation                            (w) 617-395-8574
                                                hannigan at renesys.com