[afnog] Openwebmail on FC 5 - Anything Special ?

Hosea Phiri phiri_hosea at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 5 12:51:24 SAST 2006

                Hie All,

I have just installed Fedora core 5. And I have configured OpenWebmail which I always use.  I have done it before on FC 2 and FC 4 without any problems.
   I normally follow the following steps:
a. Install required packages:
CGI.pm, MIME-Base64, libnet-1.19, Text-Iconv
b. Install  OpenWebmail as follows:

  1. cd /var/www
   tar -zxvBpf openwebmail-X.XX.tar.gz
   mv data/openwebmail html/
   rmdir data

2. cd /var/www/cgi-bin/openwebmail/etc

   modify auth_unix.conf from defaults/auth_unix.conf
   a. set passwdfile_encrypted to '/etc/shadow'
   b  set passwdmkdb           to 'none'

   modify openwebmail.conf
   a. set mailspooldir to '/var/spool/mail'
   b. set ow_htmldir   to '/var/www/html/openwebmail'
      set ow_cgidir    to '/var/www/cgi-bin/openwebmail'
   c. set spellcheck   to '/usr/bin/ispell -a -S -w "-" -d @@@DICTIONARY@@@ -p @@@PDICNAME@@@'

3. add
   /var/log/openwebmail.log {
       postrotate
           /usr/bin/killall -HUP syslogd
       endscript
   }
   to /etc/logrotate.d/syslog to enable logrotate on openwebmail.log

4. execute /var/www/cgi-bin/openwebmail/openwebmail-tool.pl --init

(To initialise Webmail)

After step 4 I access the web interface with url:
http://<my-ip-address>/cgi-bin/openwebmail/openwebmail.pl  I then get the following error message:
 Internal Server Error The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
 Please contact the server administrator, root@<mydomain> and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
 Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

   httpd is running fine and I can access the server's main site using
http://<my-ip-address> . However once I try to access webmail the above error pops up and httpd error_log complains as follows:
  [Thu Aug 05 12:36:39 2006] [error] [client <client-IP>] Premature end of script headers: openwebmail.pl

 I do not get such complaint on FC 4, Is there anything special with FC 5 with respect to Open Webmail WHICH IDO NOT KNOW?

  hosea