[afnog] BIND cache server

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Aug 2 18:07:23 EAT 2006

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 02:33:37PM +0200,
 Wonder Chikohomero <wonder.chikohomero at gmail.com> wrote
 a message of 60 lines which said:

> Secondly; Seperating DNS Caching Server, and Regular Nameserver. Is
> it a matter of editing the resolve.conf file and having BIND on one
> of the servers.(no clue at all guys and appriciate your patience
> with fairly newbies); I think as follows>> clients point to the
> cahing as primary dns; the bind on the secondary dns.

No, /etc/resolv.conf is for the configuration of the DNS *client*. For
the configuration of the DNS *server* (BIND), the easiest solution is
to have two separate machines (they can be virtual machines). If you
have them, install BIND on both, configure with "recursion no;" on the
authoritative name server and with "recursion yes;" on the caching
server (which should not be reachable from the outside, it can even
have a private IP address).

If you have only one machine, tell it, it will be a bit more
complicated, with views
(http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/networking/news/views_0501.html).