[afnog] mail problem

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Tue Apr 18 23:19:19 EAT 2006

On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 08:58:18AM +0300, Mike Barnard wrote:
>    ive tried to telnet into his mail server but i cannot get far
>    avsi# telnet [3]mail.avsi.org 110
>    Trying 81.208.64.123...
>    telnet: connect to address [4]81.208.64.123: Operation timed out
>    telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

Works from here:

$ telnet mail.avsi.org 110
Trying 81.208.64.123...
Connected to mail.avsi.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK <27456.1145391436 at avsi.org>

So probably you have an IP routing problem between your two sites (maybe
something to do with internet exchange?) If you have routing people, talk to
them. Try ping 81.208.64.123 and traceroute 81.208.64.123, they may help
identify where the problem is.

Or, perhaps mail.avsi.org has blackholed just your network :-)

>    avsi#
>    i tried it with all their three mail servers and still got a
>    connection time out.
>    to make it even worse, i cannot access his webmail page (
>    [5]webmail.avsi.org), i get a time out on that as well. the italy
>    office tell me they do not block anything from anyone at the moment.

Ah well, if it's not intentional, you should be able to sort it out between
the two of you. I imagine they're not able to view your webpages, either.