[afnog] DHCP configuration on cisco router 2600 series

Mark Tinka mtinka at africaonline.co.sz
Sat Sep 10 13:22:13 EAT 2005

On Friday 09 September 2005 18:47, Paul wrote:

> % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.
> RSUST-EDUPORTAL(config-if)#
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^
	is where you problem is.

The DHCP server is configured under global configuration
mode (not interface configuration mode as shown above),
denoted by the prompt:

RSUST-EDUPORTAL(config)

This is the prompt you get into right after you type
'conf t' in privileged user mode (I hope I'm not losing
you). Then you can enter the commands sent to the list
earlier (if your IOS support DHCP server).

Just as an FYI, the most common instance you will
associate a DHCP configuration with an interface is if
you are trying to forward DHCP client requests from one
subnet to a DHCP server on another. The command would
look something like this:

int fa0/0
 ip helper-address 192.168.254.254

Hope this helps.