[afnog] DHCP and proxy or cache

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Thu Sep 8 22:00:18 EAT 2005

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 01:56:39PM +0200, Geert Jan de Groot wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 13:26:32 +0200  "David Chima" wrote:
> > I have just configured a DHCP server on Linux 9.0. Its working fine. It can i
> ssue IPs to
> > clients and pass on parameters like name-servers, gateway. But I want the use
> rs to browse
> > the web using a proxy server (cache). How do I set this option in my DHCP ser
> ver. The
> > examples I see don't show this option.
>
> There is no (official) DHCP option for this. You might consider blocking
> port 80 (outgoing), or intercept connections to port 80 and
> send them to your cache.
>
> Many customers don't like caches, especially if they don't always work.
> Perhaps advertizing the cache, combined with throttling direct
> port 80 connections may work better (carrot vs stick thing)

I seem to remember from a previous Afnog workshop something about browser
proxy auto-configuration scripts. Looking at
http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-5.html
I see there's "WPAD" which is probably what I'm thinking of.

Hervey's your man here - although he's probably on his way to Nairobi right
now for a DNS workshop.