[afnog] DHCP and proxy or cache

Geert Jan de Groot GeertJan.deGroot at xs4all.nl
Thu Sep 8 14:56:39 EAT 2005

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 13:26:32 +0200  "David Chima" wrote:
> I have just configured a DHCP server on Linux 9.0. Its working fine. It can i
ssue IPs to
> clients and pass on parameters like name-servers, gateway. But I want the use
rs to browse
> the web using a proxy server (cache). How do I set this option in my DHCP ser
ver. The
> examples I see don't show this option.

There is no (official) DHCP option for this. You might consider blocking
port 80 (outgoing), or intercept connections to port 80 and
send them to your cache.

Many customers don't like caches, especially if they don't always work.
Perhaps advertizing the cache, combined with throttling direct
port 80 connections may work better (carrot vs stick thing)

Geert Jan