[afnog] Cisco Source Code Reportedly Stolen

Brian Longwe cto at nbi.ispkenya.com
Mon May 23 22:16:28 EAT 2005

This is really scary!

Cisco Source Code Reportedly Stolen
By Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols
May 18, 2004

The FBI confirmed Tuesday that it is working with Cisco Systems Inc.
to investigate the possible theft of source code for Cisco's main
networking device operating system.

FBI spokesman Paul Bresson said that the FBI is lending its
"assistance" into the "possible" theft. "We are aware of it, and
we're working with [Cisco] to resolve whatever issues may exist,"
said Bresson, in Washington, D.C.

According to a Russian security Web site, criminal hackers broke into
Cisco Systems' corporate network last week and stole 800MB of source
code for IOS 12.3 and 12.3t (an early deployment version of the
operating system containing features not found in the vanilla 12.3
version). In addition, a 2.5MB sample of what is supposedly IOS code
was released on an Internet Relay Chat channel as proof of the
alleged theft.

"Cisco is aware that a potential compromise of its proprietary
information occurred and was reported on a public website just prior
to the weekend," said Cisco spokesman Robert Barlow. "Cisco is fully
investigating what happened. As a matter of policy, we take security
very seriously and we continue to take every measure to protect our
intellectual property, employee and customer information."

IOS 12.3 is the newest main version of San Jose, Calif.-based Cisco's
popular operating system. It's used across the company's networking
line, including in home office routers (the 800 Series); those for
branch offices (the 3700 Series); and those that comprise the
Internet backbone (the 7000 Series). Other routers that use the
operating system include the 1700, 2500, 2600 and 3600 Series.

This could represent a major security threat not just for Cisco
users, but for the entire Internet. According to the Dell'Oro Group,
a market research firm that specializes in the networking and
telecommunications industries, Cisco owns 62 percent of the core
router market.

With the proprietary source code in hand, criminal hackers could, in
theory, create programs that could cause denial-of-service attacks in
Cisco-based networks.

Barlow said Cisco would "continue to actively monitor the situation
and will respond according to established process and procedures,
should the need arise."
A previous major source code theft of parts of Microsoft's NT 4.0 and
Windows 2000 has not led to any security violations. However the
alleged theft of the Cisco source code, since it's both the most
current edition and all of the code, has the potential to be more
damaging.