[afnog] how to identify NetBIOS information using linux

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Wed May 18 23:09:53 EAT 2005

On Wed, 18 May 2005, Sergio Carrilho wrote:

: Hi all,
: I have a machine on a remote network which has  a virus flooding the link.
: The NAT machine in that site is a linux box (the LAN accesses the
: internet via that box) under my control. I've identified the IP of the
: machine which has the virus, but I want to have access to the NetBIOS
: information of the machine so I can know exactly which machine it is
: and to whom it belongs in order to remove the virus.
:
: So the question is: How to use the remote NAT linux box to get the
: NetBIOS information of a certain IP?

Scan IP ranges for NetBIOS information using:

NBTScan
http://www.inetcat.org/software/nbtscan.html

To drill into a specific machine for NetBIOS information use:

nbtstat for linux
http://www.bindview.com/Services/razor/Utilities/Unix_Linux/nbtstat_readme.cfm

scott