[afnog] I need help on postfix configuration

David Chima david at sdnp.org.mw
Tue Jan 18 11:00:40 EAT 2005

Hello
I am new to postfix. I have been using sendmail for a long time and I am
getting problems with it. I would like to ask for help on postfix configuration.
What I may be asking here might have already been discussed
before. I know there is documentation on http://www.postfix.org and that the files
in /etc/postfix are well documented. But I need help urgently. If someone can help
take me through I would appreciate so much.

I had a test server which was able to work with only two domains. But to implement
this on a production server, I have problems.

I have 4 servers on my network. Server A, B, C, D. Server A is a primary
MX server B is secondary MX and
server C is tertiary MX. Server D just sends mail on smtp but is not MX.
Server C has mailboxes for my users.

Server A, B, C are on the same physical network. but server B is on
different IP to the others. Server D is on
separate phyisical network, but on the same IP as A and C.

I have several domains and subdomains for my users, some of whom collect
mail from server C while others
have their own servers which collect/send mail on UUCP from/to server C,
Such clients, their mailboxes are
not on server C. All my MX machines relay mail for my domain, clients
domains and subdomains to server C
which distribute some mail locally to mailboxes and others on UUCP while
others are sent to leased line
clients over smtp.

I would like to ask for help on how I can setup these three MX machines to
relay mail to/from the internet to Server
C for my domains and client domains and how server C can distribute local mail and smtp mail properly.

I have tried to setup a test server but I still have problems to implement
it on the production servers. I have
some relaying denied.

Please help. desperately looking forward to moving to postfix

Regards

David Chima