[afnog] Some cool bits and pieces

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Tue Dec 13 14:49:24 EAT 2005

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 12:13:04PM +0100, Phil Regnauld wrote:
> > (5) VMware Player
> >

> 	I've been using QEMU for over a year now -- the Kernel Acceleration
> 	module (so native instructions can be executed directly, just like
> 	vmware) is not open source, but the rest is -- GPL.  Runs fine
> 	on FreeBSD and Linux, AND it has AMD64 and PPC emulation as well,
> 	so I can test new versions of SuSE/amd64 and FreeBSD/amd64 once in a
> 	while.
>
> 	http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/

Hmm.. that lets you run Windows under Unix, but does it let you run Unix
under Windows? I can't see any Windows version for download there.

If you just want an emulator that runs on Unix then there are a number of
other options. Xen is pretty cool; you can dynamically transfer a
*running* image from one machine to another, with downtime of just a few
hundred milliseconds. Main limitation is that you must run a customised
version of the hosted O/S to be able to talk to Xen's device drivers.

However, it would be quite possible to run a workshop with one Xen server
running a dozen FreeBSD hosts, and have people ssh and/or VNC into their own
virtual machine from Windows.