[afnog] 1900 switch

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Tue Aug 30 18:22:13 EAT 2005

      On Tue, 30 Aug 2005, Cletus Okolie wrote:
    > Please i have a catalyst 1900 series each time the
    > switch boots up it remains in the Management Console
    > mode. Pls how do get it to the menu where i can do
    > some configurations (user exec and previlleged mode).

It sounds as though you have a pre-IOS software load in the 1900.  If you
know the password, you can configure it using the instructions here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps574/products_installation_and_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007d9cb.html

If you don't know the password, you'll need to clear that first, using
these instructions:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps574/products_password_recovery09186a00800a6c79.shtml

As to upgrading the software to something which will look more like IOS,
the IOS Upgrade Planner tool doesn't show anything at all for the 1900,
and the most recent mention I find of the 1900 specifically is this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps574/prod_release_note09186a008021c596.html#wp53396

...which might have been one of the transitional images that looked a
bit like CatOS and a bit like IOS.  But I haven't used a 1900 since the
2004 date on that document, so I'm speaking speculatively.  Anyone on the
list upgraded a Cat 1900 recently?

                                -Bill