[afnog] Re: Request for input: The WorkingGrouponInternetGovernance

Robert.Shaw at itu.int Robert.Shaw at itu.int
Fri Nov 19 09:44:28 EAT 2004

> You are making a case, over and over, to give regulator groups
> powers to control the Internet and to give them regulative power
> over it all, trying to get control over it all.
>
> WE DON'T WANT, DON'T NEED, TO HAVE A REGULATIVE POWER TO CONTROL WHAT
> WE HAVE NOW, WHAT WE BUILT TOGETHER.

Sounds like Woodstock... I didn't say that but it sounds like you've
convinced yourself I did...

The government policy makers and regulators already have broad
jurisdiction - as the Internet becomes more and more of a public
network, particularly as it intersects with the telephone network and
ISPs attempt to vertically integrate upper level services, you will
discover this...

but I will be the first to admit that many of you are not receptive to
this reality yet so it will take more time ;-)...

--RS