[afnog] Re: Request for input: The WorkingGrouponInternetGovernance

Geert Jan de Groot g.degroot at chello.nl
Fri Nov 19 00:29:02 EAT 2004

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 22:04:47 +0100  Robert.Shaw at itu.int wrote:
> and all the more reason to do capacity building with regional
> regulator groups to get the policies right to encourage rapid
> deployment of ICTs...

Well, apperently things have not been explicit enough, so I think
I need to be blunt:
The Internet, the beautiful think we like and love, was in many cases
built *despite* government intervention or built *around* it.
So, almost everything we have today was built *without* government
intervention.

Where things failed - and many people on this list can tell
very frightning stories of cases (in many cases causing severe business
or personal cost), where the government, the national telco,
or both, are involved and are *causing* the problems.

Especially in Africa there are many, many cases of misbehaviour
by either or both, which is why the people here react so strong,
and with such a negative feeling about ITU/government/the proposal.
The people here have had to *deal* with these problems,
they all felt the pain and need no more.

You are making a case, over and over, to give regulator groups
powers to control the Internet and to give them regulative power
over it all, trying to get control over it all.

WE DON'T WANT, DON'T NEED, TO HAVE A REGULATIVE POWER TO CONTROL WHAT
WE HAVE NOW, WHAT WE BUILT TOGETHER.
Governments, the ITU and other organisations are welcome to join the
consensus-based community that has proven to be capable to handle
the network for several decades. But it *must* be based on consensus,
based on working together as equal, as it has been the (successful)
mechanism so far. THERE IS NO NEED FOR ITU/GOVT TO TAKE CONTROL, THANK YOU.
(damn, stuck caps lock key)

The ITU asked for input, I think that the reactions of the last few days
are quite clear on this. Sorry for that, but that's the way things are.

If you want to play along, you're welcome. If you want to play boss,
please stop bothering us.

I'm sorry to be blunt but it sure clears things up.

Geert Jan