[afnog] Re: Request for input: The Working GrouponInternetGovernance

Brian Longwe brian at pure-id.com
Fri Nov 19 00:10:07 EAT 2004

On Nov 18, 2004, at 11:51 PM, <Robert.Shaw at itu.int> wrote:

> huh? who said that? why do you think we have independent
> regulators (like PTS in Sweden) - they're the ones who need
> to look after/manage competition in the market. ISPs are not a cottage
> industry anymore (Bredbandsbolaget entering TeliaSonera's fixed line
> market in your home country being one fine example)... And there is
> ample empirical evidence that calling yourself an ISP doesn't magically
> prevent you from exercising egregious market behaviour. That's why we
> have regulators and concepts (at least in the EU) of things like SMP.

Actually Bob, I think I agree with Americo - we (especially here in
Africa) are in the midst of massive change within our telecoms sectors.
Almost without exception our telcos have failed to meet requirements
for communications. The ongoing transformations render our markets such
that the incumbents become simply on of the players (albeit with
Significant Market Power - SMP) or as is probably more appropriate
Significant Market Potential...

So - why should one of the players have more say over
use/deployment/administration of collective resources than others?
Isn't it better if all have opportunity to (equally) contribute towards
overall resource management/allocation via a purpose-built body such as
ICANN? Where there is far more equity (in terms of
access/representation/opportunity) than in the ITU?

I still recall a conversation with a colleague last year when a paper
within ITU about internet exchange points in Africa was circulated and
he couldn't share it with me because it was "confidential" to the
particular ITU-x group. These kind of constraints do not augur well,
especially when the actual USERS and IMPLEMENTORS of the resource are
not party to the planning/strategy process.

So - back to square one - let govts do what govts do best and what only
govts can do i.e. legislate, arrest, prosecute, punish

..... and let operators do what operators do best i.e. build, operate
and manage networks and services within self-governing, inclusive
frameworks such as ICANN.

Longwe (other-other Brian)

Brian Longwe
CellFon: +254 733 518744
"Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future." Yoda