FW: [afnog] Re: Request for input: The Working Group onInternetGovernance

Begumisa Gerald M beg_g at eahd.or.ug
Thu Nov 18 19:49:25 EAT 2004

    > First I would like to welcome the new members on the list and hope
    > the stay longer and add their knowledgeable value on other topics
    > that will be raised in future.

My thoughts too.  I was thinking of letting through some spam to the list
liven things up :-)

    > Can someone please some how summarise in (kISS-keep It Simple
    > Stupid) style so that other list members who I noticed have been
    > silent like myself kind of get the thread.  What are the
    > Implications to AFRICAN operators if any ?

In my understanding its something like:

	ITU = MTN + UTL + Other Telcos worldwide

	ITU is respected by many governments as the "formal global
	authority on 'technical' issues"

	So, I'm just thinking if ITU "recommends" to governments that "the
	Internet be managed by telcos" or something along those lines...
	let's imagine together what that might or might not mean...

<quote http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/tsb-director/itut-wsis/files/zhao-netgov01.pdf>
	...in a few places it is still debated whether Internet and IP-based
	services should be considered new telecommunication services or not, I
	believe, except in a few cases, that it is widely agreed that these
	large-scale Internet offerings to the public can no longer be considered
	as an academic trial, or an educational network, or a closed private
	network/service. Indeed, they are rapidly becoming integrated with other
	existing public telecommunication infrastructure to constitute the Next
	Generation Network (NGN).
</quote>

Thats my "loopback" interpretation of these issues as related to Uganda
:-)

Gerald.