[afnog] Re: Request for input: The Working Group on InternetGovernance

Robert.Shaw at itu.int Robert.Shaw at itu.int
Tue Nov 16 21:38:04 EAT 2004

> Not that I want ITU to get its fingers into anything with
> "Internet" written on it - it sets a bad precedent.

huh? The vast majority of ITU standards activity has been
"Internet" related for many years.

>From broadband standards (all the xDSL standards
come from ITU-T SG15, all the cable standards from SG9, optical
networks from SG15, MPLS work in SG 13, Internet/Cisco training
centers throughout the developing world, spam, cybersecurity, voip
standards, QoS, codecs, sip-bicc/isup interworking, h.248/megaco,
gpon, enum, ngn, wi-fi and wimax spectrum globally harmonized
through itu, WAS, international leased circuit costs in SG3, ad
infinitum.

I suggest you read through

http://www.itu.int/osg/spu/ip/index.phtml

for a simple overview or see the beginning of
http://www.itu.int/osg/spu/presentations/2004/enum-ftra-uganda-rs.pdf
for a review of what's happening in the IP/NGN convergence space
vis-à-vis industry (both equipment manufacturers and operators).

Robert Shaw
ITU Internet Strategy and Policy Advisor