[afnog] FreeBSD freeze

Geert Jan de Groot geertj at nsrc.org
Tue Nov 16 14:07:57 EAT 2004

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:36:21 +002 GMT  "Antonio Godinho" wrote:
> My FreeBSD is version 5.2 and is a proxy server between an
> internal network and the internet running NAT with ipfw. The
> machine practically comes to a halt when it is bombarded with
> traffic to port 445 from some virus, as soon as I disconnect the
> internal NIC it becomes normal. Is there anything I can change to
> avoid the machine stopping?

5.2 is kind of old and the 5 branch is a bit experimental,
and some subsystems are inefficient in 5.2, so that something
simple may cause an unexpected heavy load. 5.3 is better in that regard.

I'd try upgrading. Not sure if you can run a 5.3 kernel on
a 5.2 machine (things like ps are likely to break) but
you might want to try that too just to see if switching to
5.3 would fix it for you.
If it does, do upgrade the whole box, please.

Geert Jan