[afnog] FreeBSD incomplete boot problem

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Wed May 26 17:47:52 EAT 2004

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 09:52:44AM +0000, Antonio Godinho wrote:
> I have just noticed that there are two processes that are present in
> the form of:
>
>    39 con  Is+    0:00.12 sh /etc/rc autoboot
>   425 con  I+     0:00.01 sh /etc/rc autoboot
>
> After pressing ctrl-c, the rc.d scripts start and these processes
> disappear. Any ideas? I have not seen these on the other FreeBSD
> machines I have.

A difference between FreeBSD 5.x and 4.x perhaps?

On my 5.2.1 box:

# strings /sbin/init | grep -3 autoboot
single-user login failed
single user shell terminated.
/etc/rc
autoboot
daemon
can't exec %s for %s: %m
can't fork for %s on %s: %m

# grep autoboot /etc/rc
# System startup script run by init on autoboot
if [ "$1" = autoboot ]; then
        autoboot=yes
        autoboot=no

So it's fairly clear that /sbin/init runs '/etc/rc autoboot' at startup. The
process will remain there until it's completed.