[afnog] FreeBSD incomplete boot problem

Antonio Godinho antonio at nambu.uem.mz
Wed May 26 09:31:35 EAT 2004

I am quite sure that it isn´t a postfix problem because the postfix is
actually already started at that point, it is something that is
supposed to start after that and isn´t anything in the rc.d dir since
after a ctrl-c all the rc.d services start successfully.

Cheers,

> antonio at nambu.uem.mz wrote:
> > It wouldn't be a problem if the services already started, but since
> > only postfix starts and none of the rc.d scripts start then you have
> > to go physically to the server and press ctrl-c for the rest to
> > load, that's what I am trying to avoid so that everytime the machine
> > is rebooted due to several reasons like power outages, I need to go
> > physically there and press ctrl-c.
>
> Have you checked that DNS is working from the viewpoint of
> your box? That is that if you've statically assigned an IP
> address to your box that the resulting hostname lookup from
> the DNS server in use works? Reverse DNS lookup as well?
> And/or that in /etc/hosts the entries are correct?
>
> I don't know postfix's boot process well enough to know
> exactly what it expects to get back, but this sounds like a
> DNS timeout to me (as Phil noted earlier).
>
> G'luck!
>
> - Hervey Allen

Antonio Godinho
B.Sc., MCP, MCP+Internet, MCSE, CCNA, CCNP
Address:Av. Julius Nyerere 947 3rd floor esq
Maputo - Mozambique
Phone  : 258-82-300392
e-mail : ANTONIO at nambu.uem.mz

An expert is one who knows more and more
about less and less until he knows absolutely
everything about nothing.