[afnog] Re: AOL rejecting hosts with no rDNS?

Phil Regnauld regnauld at starBSD.org
Tue Jun 29 13:05:11 EAT 2004

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 12:58:58PM +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:

> Yes, it's a minor inconvenience to the spammer, at first.  It becomes
> incrementally more difficult for the spammer if more people publish
> and use SPF records.  It might be a significant convenience to the
> now-less-easily-forgeable domain.

	Until they just buy 12 USD domains and spam with that in the From
	as soon as they are available (3 minutes for .org).

> SPF is not advertised as a solution to spam.  Well maybe you have raised
> that as a straw man to shoot down, but no SPF proponents have done so
> (as far as I am aware).  It's supposed to help a little, against some
> kinds of spam, and I think it will do that.

	SPF is something for yahoo and hotmail to say "it's not me".

> If AOL doesn't care about AOL spam, then this makes no difference.  If
> AOL does care about AOL spam (and I think that they do), then this
> will be be better than today's situation, because when you get spam
> purporting to be from user at aol, it will be more likely to really be from
> AOL, and AOL will be better able to cancel the spammers' accounts.

	So little of my spam comes from @aol.com today -- and I don't look
	up SPF.  Yes, it might help reduce the window when 90% have it, but
	until then...

--
catpipe Systems ApS                                    http://www.catpipe.net/
                  *BSD solutions, consulting, development