[afnog] seeking best VSAT connection providers for Africa

Mark Tinka mtinka at africaonline.co.sz
Thu Jun 24 09:21:57 EAT 2004

On Sunday 20 June 2004 11:34, Dr Paulos Nyirenda wrote:
> All,
>
> In looking at or for VSAT Internet providers in Africa, for the region
> around Malawi in particular, do you know of other providers outside the
> following?
>
> 1. IPPlanet,
> 2. NewSkies,
> 3. Verestar,
> 4. SkyVision,
> 5. Taide.

One of the first things you'd have to do is locate a satellite carrier e.g.
PanAmSat, Apstar, Intelsat, Inmarsat, e.t.c. that has got a good-enough
footprint in your area.

Then you'd need to check with the carrier whether they support the satellite
technology you are looking for; SCPC, TDMA, FDMA, DVB e.t.c. Most times, the
IP provider can only provide these services if the carrier's infrastructure
supports it.

> I am looking for an objective answer to the question: Who is the best VSAT
> Internet connectivity provider FOR my region around Malawi in Africa?

Nowadays, it's possible to find satellite carriers also providing Internet
service as well. This is good if you like to receive one check for all
services from the same provider. However, this solution may not necessarily
be the cheapest.

> I guess it is necessary to highlight parameters for deciding what best
> refers to. These must include (a) price,

Satellite services are typically expensive, more so because of the uplink
portion. An assymetric DVB receive-only is quite manageable.

Dedicated IP providers that feed into the satellite provider might more
competitive than getting a turn-key solution from the satellite provider.

It would also be a plus if the IP provider gave you a wholistic price that
included the cost of the IP service as well as the cost of satellite carrier
bandwidth. Again, this can turn out to be more competitive than actually
getting both services from the satellite carrier.

Having said that, generally, the lowest you could expect to go on satellite
bandwidth is anywhere from $3,000 to $4,500 per 1Mbps, +/- satellite charges.
If you are bulk buyer, you could get a hefty discount.

> (b) reliability,

Well, just as with terrestrial backbones, satellite services usually tend to
fail. So, that's as much reliability as you will get. You also have to
consider what reliability the IP provider on the other end has. Generally
speaking, one provider won't buy you much reliability. If you are
single-homed to that satellite/IP carrier, and they fail, your service will
be disrupted until the problem is resolved. There are numbers to go by from
the providers, and there's experience from existing/previous customers, but
anything could happen at anytime. That's, ultimately, what you need to
prepare for.

It could worse if you find attractive prices based on the fact that you will
be using a Ku-band service. That would reduce reliability at the
infrastructure level.

> (c) flexibility,

Flexibility in terms of quick upgrades, including bandwidth burst services, a
satellite carrier/IP provider that supports DVB is your best bet. It doesn't
cost anyone that much or upgrade DVB capacity. However, you won't get the
same flexibility for uplink, as the IP provider has to go back to the
satellite carrier and re-negotiate a suitable deal. That could take anywhere
from 4 to 6 weeks post your initial request. In this case, finding a
satellite carrier that provides IP is a better option.

You might want to deploy technology that allows you to cut costs on bandwidth
e.g. I've heard of some kind of compression technology that could improve
your bandwidth utilisation 3 times, for 3 times less the cost. Of course,
that's money lost to the provider, so you need to find one willing enough to
accomodate some of your technologies.

> (d) support,

Getting an SLA (that makes sense) from the provider would be a good idea. The
better IP provider would be the one that incorporates failure of the
satellite carrier infrastructure into the SLA.

Most satellite service providers have 24/7 support, and will call you before
you know you have a problem. However, that needs be in writing.

> (e) stability

This will depend on the type of service you get, e.g. C-band or Ku-band, what
satellite carrier you use, how well-connected the remote IP provider is, what
networks they feed into (Tier 1? Tier 2? e.t.c.), e.t.c.

Again, what you need to plan for is total service failure. Having a DVB
receive-only backup with an uplink through a local Malawian carrier would be
a step in that direction.

> and such like items.
>
> What if equipment were not an issue?.

This isn't such a big issue nowadays. DVB receivers retail for less than
$1,000. Satellite modems are affordable, but alternatives exist - satellite
SCPC cards that can be installed on a regular PC running Linux will do you
just fine too. Again, your question of flexibility comes into play here, and
whether your provider will be willing to accomodate your not-to-standard
technology.

Mark.