[afnog] FreeBsd5.2 + Squid + Wccp-v2

Mark Tinka mtinka at africaonline.co.sz
Thu Jun 17 15:39:23 EAT 2004

On Thursday 17 June 2004 15:22, Volven_res wrote:

> I am using FreeBsd Ver 5.2, Squid-2.2.STABLE5...

From what I know, Cisco's WCCP v1 is supported from Squid-2.3 upward.

> with the patch for wccp-v2

Haven't tried to patch WCCP into Squid before, but just to ask, any particular
reason you want to run Squid-2.2 still? I know it's been tested to be quite
the fastest Squid (contentious), but a lot of bugs have been fixed and new
features added since then.

> ANy directions, would be welcome..

At the time, Squid didn't support WCCP v2, but since this version is now
open-standards, perhaps it does, haven't really followed that much. You might
want to confirm your patch supports WCCP v2 with Cisco.

Just a tip, setting up a transparent caching Squid (for the first time) can be
daunting. I like to set it up/test it step-by-step:

 o First test Squid as a direct proxy as configured in the browser.

 o If that works, then test Squid transparently through the server, by causing
   the server to act like it's a firewall gateway between 2 LAN's (IPfw).

 o If that works, put Squid on your production network, and use a route-map on
   your router to make sure all HTTP traffic is intercepted and routed back to
   the Squid cache server.

 o If that works, start playing with WCCP.

Mark.