[afnog] MRTG

Sunday A Folayan sfolayan at skannet.com.ng
Tue Jun 15 12:30:49 EAT 2004

Hello Madhvi,

I would recommend that you install cacti. It is built on top of rrd (Also
written by tobias) , easier to configure and saves you all the troubles
setting up MRTG. It needs mysql and PHP though.

If running FreeBSD (I assume you are, if not ... DO **nux is just cumbersome),

1. cd /usr/ports/net/cacti
2. make
3. make install

4. Edit your apache.conf and add:

<VirtualHost YOUR_IP_ADDRESS>
     DocumentRoot /usr/local/share/cacti
     ServerName cacti.YOUR_DOMAIN_NAME
</VirtualHost>

5. add to your root cron:
*/5 * * * * /usr/local/share/cacti/cmd.php > /dev/null 2>&1

6. point your browser at
http://cacti.YOUR_DOMAIN_NAME

Do not forget to "RTFM".

Good luck