[afnog] HOW can I stop outgoing spam

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Tue Sep 27 12:28:22 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 03:16:39PM +0300,
 saleh ali <saleh.shihab at live.com> wrote
 a message of 100 lines which said:

> The following email is taken from one of DNSBL

You really should use *your* logs, not external reports (which may be
trusted or not).

OK, one of the users of your email servers use a Yahoo account. No
problem.

Your mail server is badly configured (it uses "localhost.localdomain"
instead of its real name).

That's the important info which was *not* in your logs (fix your logs
urgently: you cannot manage a system which does not log the IP
addresses of the clients). Is 82.128.14.236 one of your legitimate
users? Afrinic's database tells us it is Multilinks
Telecommunications, in Nigeria, at the other end of Africa. Do you
know them?

Anyway, you now know the origin of the spam: talk to them, fire them,
block them in the firewall, lecture them, etc, depending on your
relationship with them.

>           by localhost.localdomain

Same problem. Bad configuration of your email server.

> (DeskNow) with SMTP ID 539;

I do not know DeskNow. It seems a commercial product so you should ask
help from the company which sold it to you. My experience is more with
free software such as Postfix.

> Subject: Business Proposal

It is really a spam.