[afnog] Transceiver issue

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Oct 18 02:03:34 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, October 18, 2011 04:19:54 AM Antonio Godinho wrote:

> Mark,
>
> It seems that in some IOS releases that command is not
> supported, I tried that on one of the 7200 and it did
> not exist.

Yes, you'd be hard-pressed to find it on Cisco's routers.
It's typically found on Cisco's Catalyst switches.

This is what it would like when enabled on a switch
(a 2960 in my case):

test at lab(config)#service unsupported-transceiver
 Warning: When Cisco determines that a fault or defect can be traced to
the use of third-party transceivers installed by a customer or reseller,
then, at Cisco's discretion, Cisco may withhold support under warranty or
a Cisco support program. In the course of providing support for a Cisco
networking product Cisco may require that the end user install Cisco
transceivers if Cisco determines that removing third-party parts will
assist Cisco in diagnosing the cause of a support issue.

test at lab(config)#

Cheers,

Mark.