[afnog] Weekly Routing Table Report

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Mon Oct 17 16:32:51 UTC 2011

On Monday, October 17, 2011 09:16:40 PM Fredy Kuenzler
wrote:

> I'm not too much into exposing the 'sinners' which are
> polluting the global routing table. What interests me
> more is: Why is this happening?

The reason is always the same - traffic engineering.

However, I think that reason has somewhat degenerated a
little into "best practice", especially so if offending
operators haven't had a chance to attend industry meetings
such as AfNOG.

> This seems to be a common habit by many African networks
> (which tend to be inbound heavy / have mainly eyeball
> customers).

South Asia and South East Asia are just as bad.

We have as many as 1,500 routes from a peer who could simply
aggregate into a couple of routes. Amazing!

We also see it at our local peering exchange - folk
literally take a block and break it up into sequential
/24's, and have no shame in posting said blocks on the
exchange point list to ask for filters to be opened.

We've warned members on the exchange point not to come
complaining when our peering routers run out of FIB slots
and we can't forward any traffic to those de-aggregates
anymore, because there's simply no way we're upgrading our
routers just to support someone else's bad habits.

> I'm not sure whether there is a BGP
> consultant working in Africa proposing this practice for
> traffic engineering all over the continent ... as many
> networks do just the same way I tend to come to this
> assumption.

Maybe that consultant is roaming the Asian streets too :-).

I've seen networks with only one or two upstreams that still
de-aggregate to /24's. I posit that for up-and-coming
operators, there is a misunderstood association between high
traffic generation and /24's.

> 192.168.16.0/20 - learned via peering - local pref 150
> (overwritten) 192.168.16.0/24 - learned via transit -
> local pref 50  *WINNER* 192.168.17.0/24 - learned via
> peering - local pref 150 192.168.18.0/24 - learned via
> transit - local pref 50  *WINNER*

Yep, that crazy "longest match wins" rule - really pisses
all over LOCAL_PREF :-). Gotta love it!

> We have started to investigate and are in the process of
> building an automated filtering system to remove these
> more-specifics from our transit BGP feed. First result
> (needs certainly more fine-tuning): more than 10000
> prefixes less in the BGP table, traffic down to the
> acceptable level again, incease of peering traffic,
> mission completed.

Well, I know many ISP's around the world are filtering out
more-specifics in order to keep their FIB's alive. But if
you're doing so move $$ around (which makes sense, and
doubtful you aren't the only one), then we should all be
scared. But that's reality, and I don't necessarily disagree
with it :-). Folk are running a business, after all.

Mark.