[afnog] VIRTUAL SERVER

John Kemp kemp at network-services.uoregon.edu
Thu Oct 13 17:51:09 UTC 2011

On 10/13/11 5:19 AM, Phil Regnauld wrote:
> muchiri wambui (wambui_muchiri) writes:
>>
>> Hello colleagues
>>
>> I am an ICT Manager in a private Kenyan University
>>
>> kindly assist me.
>>
>> "I need to know which Virtualization software i can use to virtualize Sunfire6900 Server" The server uses Sun SPARC architecture. I thought XEN will work for me but it not supported by that architecture.
>
> 	Hi Muchiri,
>
> 	KVM, Xen, VMWare, VirtualBox and other popular virtualization software only
> 	work on Intel/AMD architectures.
>
> 	If you would like to run virtualized hosts on the Sunfire Sparc
> 	architecture, you'll need to get Oracle VM Server for Sparc.
>
> 	http://www.oracle.com/us/technologies/virtualization/oraclevm/oracle-vm-server-for-sparc-068923.html
>
> 	It's a commercial solution, so you will need to pay for it.
>
> 	Also, I don't think you'll be able to run x86/x86-64 operating systems
> 	on it - i.e. you'll be able to run Linux Sparc, but not Linux i386/amd64,
> 	etc...
>
> 	It might be worth considering to acquire some cheap Intel/AMD servers
> 	and use that for virtualization - look at solutions like ProxMox, Ganeti,
> 	etc... which offer clustering.  But if you're stuck with the 6900, you
> 	will have to use Oracle VM Server...
>
> 	Cheers,
> 	Phil

But if you are just doing Sun-only guests, it would seem that
you might still be able to do Solaris "Zones" still with the builtin
tools in the OS, yes?

(Always seemed like a neat method to me, but it did lock you
into that single OS for all of your guests...)

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E24628_01/doc.121/e18415/chapter_zones.htm

---
John Kemp (kemp at routeviews.org)
RouteViews Engineer