[afnog] VIRTUAL SERVER

Phil Regnauld regnauld at nsrc.org
Thu Oct 13 12:19:11 UTC 2011

muchiri wambui (wambui_muchiri) writes:

> Hello colleagues
>
> I am an ICT Manager in a private Kenyan University
>
> kindly assist me.
>
> "I need to know which Virtualization software i can use to virtualize Sunfire6900 Server" The server uses Sun SPARC architecture. I thought XEN will work for me but it not supported by that architecture.

	Hi Muchiri,

	KVM, Xen, VMWare, VirtualBox and other popular virtualization software only
	work on Intel/AMD architectures.

	If you would like to run virtualized hosts on the Sunfire Sparc
	architecture, you'll need to get Oracle VM Server for Sparc.

	http://www.oracle.com/us/technologies/virtualization/oraclevm/oracle-vm-server-for-sparc-068923.html

	It's a commercial solution, so you will need to pay for it.

	Also, I don't think you'll be able to run x86/x86-64 operating systems
	on it - i.e. you'll be able to run Linux Sparc, but not Linux i386/amd64,
	etc...

	It might be worth considering to acquire some cheap Intel/AMD servers
	and use that for virtualization - look at solutions like ProxMox, Ganeti,
	etc... which offer clustering.  But if you're stuck with the 6900, you
	will have to use Oracle VM Server...

	Cheers,
	Phil