[afnog] ASDL to Ethernet port

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Sat May 21 13:39:07 UTC 2011

On 20 May 2011, at 12:49, ANTHONY GESASE wrote:

> I have a Cisco 800 series wireless router it has Four LAN ports and one ADSL port
[...]
> The router has no fast Ethernet port that I could connect in order to get internet, it has
> an ADSL connection type.

Are you saying that the WAN port on your device is a DSL interface, and instead you need it to be a Fast Ethernet port ?

If it is a Cisco 837 (there are lots of Cisco 800 routers), then you can have two Ethernet ports on your router very simply.  After upgrading beyond 12.3(7), the ports Fa1, 2, and 3 will correspond to Layer 3 configuration in the 'interface Ethernet0' block, and port Fa4 will correspond to Layer 3 configuration in 'Ethernet 2'.

You can therefore plug your upstream connection into port Fa4, put any L2 configuration onto 'interface FastEthernet4', and any Layer 3 configuration onto 'interface Ethernet2'.  You then put your inside configuration onto 'interface Ethernet 0' and plug your internal network into ports Fa1, 2 or 3.

I hope this help !

Best wishes,
Andy Davidson