[afnog] Volunteers needed to help with IPv6 day measurements

Dawit Bekele bekele at isoc.org
Mon May 16 20:19:44 UTC 2011

Dear colleagues,

As you might already know, on 8 June, 2011, Google, Facebook, Yahoo!, Akamai
and Limelight Networks will be amongst some of the major organisations that
will offer their content over IPv6 for a 24-hour "test flight". The goal of
the Test Flight Day is to motivate organizations across the industry -
Internet service providers, hardware makers, operating system vendors and
web companies - to prepare their services for IPv6 to ensure a successful
transition as IPv4 addresses run out (http://isoc.org/wp/worldipv6day/).

One of the organizations supporting this day, OpenNMS
(http://www.opennms.org) is seeking volunteers to host pollers for their
distributed network monitoring solution for the World IPv6 Day
It has an online form for the purpose of gathering volunteers here:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHlDT0RQeEhrTjA
5eVoyMkdQdzd1REE6MQ

Volunteers need to be able to provide a dual-stack machine to run the poller
software, and it is desirable for this machine to be on as much of the time
as possible, ideally 24/7.

OpenNMS is keen to have pollers on every (inhabited) continent, but don't
currently from Africa. I encourage volunteers to support OpenNMS and the
World IPV6 Day by hosting the pollers and completing the online form with
the results.

Please let me know and my colleague Matthew Ford if you are volunteering and
need further detail.
Thank you
Dawit Bekele