[afnog] content filter/firewall/bandwidth manager

Mihamina Rakotomandimby mihamina at rktmb.org
Sat Jul 30 17:28:27 UTC 2011

> On Sat, 2011-07-30 at 06:59 -0700, Righa Shake wrote:
> Hi,
> Anyone knowing an opensource application that can do the following:
> block downloads based on usernames

What username:
- windows/linux username?
- HTTP username?
- Proxy username? (authenticated proxy)

> , ip
> address, protocals(esp bit-torrents, peer to peer), and time control
> etc., web filters, etc

I use to use:
- Linux +
-- (iptables -> squid+dans-guardian) for web filtering and throttling
-- (iptables [...] -j classify + tc) for bandwidth management

I had the project to have a look at "nuFW" http://www.nufw.org/ but
everyone whre happy with the current solution for the moment, so...

1°) iptables l7 is known to be not as reliable as that, for protocol
detection. Too many false positive. Open

2°) For high volumes (4000 IP addresses to limit), using "tc filter" on
a common x86_64 is heavily using ressources. We switched to "iptables -j
classify + tc class" limiting.

3°) I never tried on other system than Linux (no xxxBSD nor openSolaris)

4°) openDPI is usable with iptables:
http://www.google.com/search?q=modprobe+xt_opendpi+iptables
I've not tested, seems to be promising.