[afnog] Fiber Optics For beginners

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sat Jul 9 18:08:11 UTC 2011

On Sunday, July 10, 2011 12:54:27 AM jacob miller wrote:

> Anyone with documentation or links with an introduction
> to fiber optic design and concepts.
>
> Am a newbie to the area and want to understand the
> concept behind transmission,fiber optic topologies and
> need to know information in regards to design of metro
> fiber.

These are multiple areas you're talking about; you might
need to be more specific unless you want to know about
EVERYTHING :-).

Optical fibre is just a transport medium; much like copper,
wireless, infra-red, e.t.c. That is a huge subject unto
itself.

Applications that run atop fibre are also not less
plentiful. To light the fibre, you have various
technologies, e.g., SDH/SONET, DWDM, Ethernet, e.t.c.

Metro-E topologies have very little to do with fibre. Yes,
fibre is most commonly-used to deploy Metro-E, but one could
build a Metro-E network on copper or wireless alone if they
were brave enough :-). That said, your topology can be
influenced by whether you to choose to go with pre-lit fibre
(lease) or whether you light it yourself (dark fibre).

I guess my point is, you might want to home in on what
exactly you want to learn. However, learning about anyone of
the applications of optic fibre will invariably lead toward
learning about optic fibre itself, e.g., in trying to
determine whether you need DWDM or not, you would decide to
measure the quality of the fibre in terms of power loss
(dBm), which would end up teaching you about the fibre
itself. The quality of the fibre might also teach you about
what kind of power you want to use to drive the fibre to
compensate for its design inefficiency or age, if at all. So
it all compliments each other.

Cheers,

Mark.