[afnog] Cisco APs

Philip Smith pfsinoz at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 10:19:39 UTC 2011

Hi David,

david aliata said the following on 9/08/11 18:04 :

> I have a number of the Cisco AIR-LAP1142 APs. The problem is i can't
> configure/operate these APs through the console/aux port.The question
> is, can these APs work alone, i.e without Cisco wireless LAN
> controller? And how? As i really don't want to go and buy a controller
> from Cisco, i'm using chilli hotspot for authentication. Any help will
> be highly appreciated.

LAP means this is a Lightweight Access Point, which means it requires
the controller to function.

Lightweight Access Points can be "downgraded", as Cisco calls it, to be
standalone. You just need to get hold of the suitable standalone IOS
that the APs need. The process to do this "downgrade" is described on
www.cisco.com - a simple search there will find the description.

Hope that helps!

philip