[afnog] Cisco APs

Hugo Lombard hal at elizium.za.net
Wed Aug 10 08:45:30 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 09, 2011 at 11:04:47AM +0300, david aliata wrote:

>    I have a number of the Cisco AIR-LAP1142 APs. The problem is i can't
>    configure/operate these APs through the console/aux port.The question is,
>    can these APs work alone, i.e without Cisco wireless LAN
>    controller?

Hi David

Not personally familiar with the units, but the product page has this to
say:

"The Cisco Unified Wireless Network supports two architectural options -
standalone and controller-based. The standalone solution does not
require controllers and is ideal for small scale or distributed
deployments. The controller-based option is recommended for businesses
of any size and deployment topology. It is the most scalable solution
and delivers the greatest flexibility and feature velocity for
distributed or centralized deployments."

and:

"Software: Cisco Lightweight Access Point Protocol (LWAPP) software with
the Controller-based version or Cisco IOS Software with the Standalone
version"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps10092/datasheet_c78-502797.html

Perhaps it's not running the Standalone software?

Regards

--
Hugo Lombard