[afnog] Network Authentication

Phil Regnauld regnauld at nsrc.org
Fri Aug 5 17:05:31 UTC 2011

Mark Tinka (mtinka) writes:

> There are probably some other solutions, "captive portal"
> style. But others may be able to offer more insight here.

	Captive portal don't scale well if you have to use them
	on wired networks.  802.1x has the benefit of offering
	the same authentication architecture for both wired and
	wireless networks.

	Captive portals are pretty useful in setups where the
	user needs to be told what to do (guest area, public
	library, ...), whereas permanent/staff users can with
	benefit use 802.1x and "be done with it".  No need for
	cookies, etc...

	We've got some howtos/guides for 802.1x/EAPTLS we're working
	on at NSRC, which I'll send the pointers to once they're a bit
	more mature.

	Cheers,
	Phil