[afnog] Packet Forwarding Issue with Linux

Gerald Begumisa gbegumisa at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 12:08:51 UTC 2011

Hi Hugo,

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Hugo Lombard <hal at elizium.za.net> wrote:

> You can see from the above that the packet leaves your router with MAC
> f0:7d:68:fe:85:09, destined for MAC 00:0b:46:50:1a:00.  However,
> 00:0b:46:50:1a:00 replies to 00:13:8f:37:a3:0a instead!

Indeed I have noted this!  00:13:8f:37:a3:0a is the MAC address of the
currently active [old] server (which I should add is on the verge of self
destructing).

When testing, we disconnect the old server entirely and bring the new server
on.  I guess the issue is one of two things:

1. The ISP hard-coded the old server's MAC and we need to get them to change
it
2. The ISP's system is not updating it's ARP table quickly enough (doesn't
help that they don't permit ICMP traffic to their devices e.g we can't ping
1.2.3.33)

Either way, we'll solve this by getting on phone with one of their network
engineers.  Interestingly, we'd considered this and after being assured by
their network engineers that their ARP would automatically update, we had
ruled it out.

Thanks for all the help!

Regards,
Gerald