[afnog] Root Zone DNSSEC Deployment Technical Status Update

Oluwaseun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Tue May 18 23:43:16 UTC 2010

I have been following this update and was wondering....Well i may be wrong
as i may not have enough knowledge right now about DNSSEC. But what i can
tell is that anything in networking that has to do with SEC(security) in it
like IPSEC may increase the data size in one way or the other. Is there any
significant impact that this upgrades will have on our up/down link speed.
We are trying to utilise our bandwidth in the best possible way we can.
I also see that this has to do with root servers so may i assume that its
actually the headache of those that have DNS server that we use...As in..
End user(client) >>DNS server(ISP) >> root DNS ?

Regards

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 6:12 PM, Joe Abley <joe.abley at icann.org> wrote:

> Root Zone DNSSEC Deployment
> Technical Status Update 2010-05-17
>
> This is the seventh of a series of technical status updates intended
> to inform a technical audience on progress in signing the root zone
> of the DNS.
>

> CHANGE IN DEPLOYMENT SCHEDULE
>
> The date for the publication of the root zone trust anchor and the
> distribution of a validatable, signed root zone originally planned
> for 2010-07-01 has been changed.
>
> This final stage of root DNSSEC deployment is now scheduled to take
> place on 2010-07-15.
>
> The schedule change is intended to allow ICANN and VeriSign an
> additional two weeks for further analysis of the DURZ rollout, to
> finalise testing and best ensure the secure, stable and resilient
> implementation of the root DNSSEC production processes and systems.
>
> Prior to 2010-07-15 the U.S. Department of Commerce (DoC) will issue
> a public notice announcing the publication of the joint ICANN-VeriSign
> testing and evaluation report as well as the intent to proceed with
> the final stage of DNSSEC deployment. As part of this notice the
> DoC will include a public review and comment period prior to taking
> any action.
>
> This change has been reflected in the deployment plan and other
> documentation, and updated documents will be published at
> <http://www.root-dnssec.org/>.
>

> PLANNED DEPLOYMENT SCHEDULE
>
> Already completed:
>
>  2010-01-27: L starts to serve DURZ
>
>  2010-02-10: A starts to serve DURZ
>
>  2010-03-03: M, I start to serve DURZ
>
>  2010-03-24: D, K, E start to serve DURZ
>
>  2010-04-14: B, H, C, G, F start to serve DURZ
>
>  2010-05-05: J starts to serve DURZ
>
> To come:
>
>  2010-06-16: First Key Signing Key (KSK) Ceremony
>
>  2010-07-15: Distribution of validatable, production, signed root
>    zone; publication of root zone trust anchor
>
>  (Please note that this schedule is tentative and subject to change
>  based on testing results or other unforeseen factors.)

Seun Ojedeji,
System Analyst/Network Admin
ICT Centre,
University of Nigeria, Enugu Campus.