[afnog] Router ethernet port hang

Bernard Wanyama bwanyama at syntechug.com
Tue May 11 08:34:25 UTC 2010

Moses,

Please send through the requested info, and also include DUPLEX and SPEED
settings, plus the cable state (new, old, reliably used before, etc)

Many bugs I encounter are related to cables, speed and duplex.
Also, you need to check that you are not overloading the 3845 chassis.
There are a number of caveats for running the newer, higher-density cards.

To give you some hope, I, happy to tell you that I have two production 3845s
running with the HWIC 2FE on IOS Version 12.4(15)T11, without issues for 3
months now.

Kind regards,
Bernard

On 10 May 2010 20:47, Oluwaseun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:

> In addition to mark's troubleshooting points, you might also want to back
> track to how the router was performing before you added the cards(was it a
> coincidence that the pro started after adding the cards?),is the card
> compatible with the ios, how about using one card after the other? you might
> also want to disconnect the LAN side and check out the effect of that, sure
> you must have try to changed the cables connecting this ports?
>
> Regards
>
> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 6:00 PM, Mark Tinka <mtinka at globaltransit.net>wrote:
>
>> On Monday 10 May 2010 09:04:32 pm Murigi, Moses M wrote:
>>
>> > We are running a 3845 router in which we have added a
>> >  HWIC 2FE cards. After every two  to four days the card
>> >  hang's  and we have to restart the router.
>> > The router is on Version 12.4(13r)T10
>> > Do anyone a have solution to this?
>>
>> You'd need to provide more information on this situation:
>>
>>        - does the port remain up/up?
>>        - does the port got into up/down?
>>        - does the port go down/down?
>>        - are there any errors on the port before rebooting?
>>        - what do the logs say?
>>        - does a 'shut/unshut' help before rebooting?
>>        - does unplugging/plugging the cable help?
>>        - are other ports in the router affected when it fails?
>>        - how much traffic is being forwarded when it fails?
>>        - have you tried an updated IOS release?
>>
>> Is there any other troubleshooting you've done I may have
>> missed out in the above?
>>
>> Mark.

> --
> Seun Ojedeji,