[afnog] Router ethernet port hang

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Mon May 10 17:00:13 UTC 2010

On Monday 10 May 2010 09:04:32 pm Murigi, Moses M wrote:

> We are running a 3845 router in which we have added a
>  HWIC 2FE cards. After every two  to four days the card
>  hang's  and we have to restart the router.
> The router is on Version 12.4(13r)T10
> Do anyone a have solution to this?

You'd need to provide more information on this situation:

	- does the port remain up/up?
	- does the port got into up/down?
	- does the port go down/down?
	- are there any errors on the port before rebooting?
	- what do the logs say?
	- does a 'shut/unshut' help before rebooting?
	- does unplugging/plugging the cable help?
	- are other ports in the router affected when it fails?
	- how much traffic is being forwarded when it fails?
	- have you tried an updated IOS release?

Is there any other troubleshooting you've done I may have
missed out in the above?

Mark.