[afnog] Bandwidth management

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu Mar 11 15:58:28 UTC 2010

On Thursday 11 March 2010 10:03:51 pm Kondie Masiye wrote:

> Ladies and gentlemen,
>
> I am looking for a bandwidth management and packet
>  shaping system for my internet bandwidth. I would like
>  to get opinions, suggestions and recommendations,
>  including what you are using or have experience with in
>  terms of bandwidth and QoS management for a service
>  provider network.

Uncertain whether you're looking at this from a service
provider or end-user point of view.

If end-user, all the suggestions the others have posted are
great.

If service provider, I've tended to steer clear of so-called
bandwidth manager appliances that install between your
customers and the Internet. They don't scale very well, cost
tons of money and may not be as fully-featured (e.g., will
it police IPv6 traffic)? In such a scenario, I've gone with
bandwidth management features inherent in IP routers. Yes,
there are a number of considerations when doing this in the
forwarding path of a router, but overall, it scales much
better per unit of traffic processed, doesn't necessarily
cost you extra $$ and integrates with other "cool" functions
within the platform which you can use for additional revenue
streams.

Mark.