[afnog] checking sun ray services with Nagios

Charlie Reddington charlier at cymru.com
Fri Jun 25 13:32:06 UTC 2010

On 6/25/10 2:30 AM, teklay gebremichael wrote:
> hello, i have setup nagios and am using snmp plugin to check remote
> hosts' resources. we have a session server where sun ray 1 and 2 are
> used as DTUs. now i am able to monitor some of the services of the
> session server. but i am unable to check the sun ray service and
> other things related to it statistics. currently i don't know how to
> write my own script to check these things. so, can any body tell me
> if there is a means to check sun ray services using snmp plugin or
> different plugin.
>
> thanks in advace.

Hi,

I am not familiar with the device your asking about, and a quick Google
search showed a hand full of different things, so I'll offer some
general suggestions.

I would first check what services you may be able to see via snmp for
your device. Is snmp enabled / configurable? Why don't you do a snmpwalk
against the device and see what things are available. You can then just
use the check_snmp plugin to check those.

Does this device support traps? You can use your nagios server as a trap
server and generate alerts on that.

And if you can get a ssh session to this device, you can do your checks
over ssh. If you know how to check a service on the command line,
writing a check script that nagios can use isn't too hard.

Are any of these available options?

Charlie