[afnog] spam filter for smtp

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu Jun 10 16:47:23 UTC 2010

On Thursday 10 June 2010 11:35:45 pm Noah Sematimba wrote:

> We used to have a commercial solution from CA which
>  became a major enough annoyance with e-mail delivery
>  delays that we were able to finally convince management
>  to "see the light" and let us try and open source
>  solution. So we now use mailscanner with postfix on
>  OpenSuSE. http://www.mailscanner.info and it works
>  beautifully.

My experience was the reverse, when I used to Sysadmin - or
maybe I was lazy :-).

Sophos' PureMessage for UNIX worked like a charm, doing a
respectable 98% job of capturing spam with no false
positives.

It's based on Postfix (with a Postgres SQL backend) and runs
well on any Linux system (we ran it on openSuSE):

http://www.sophos.com/products/enterprise/email/security-
and-control/unix/

It's been several years since I ran a mail system of this
magnitude (several thousand users, then) so a lot could have
changed, but PM supports clustering and separation of
database and mail message handling. This helped us scale the
platform.

One thing they did need to fix was quarantine management.
That was a pain for users to setup and manage since each
session required its own setup process. User customization
was also painful. But again, it's been a while - this could
have been fixed.

It also provides support for virus checking (which can be
turned off, if you like). Spam heuristics and virus
signatures are updated automatically.

One important thing to note is that PM does filtering as e-
mail comes into the network, not at the user level (as mail
is dropped into the mail box), although I'm guessing there's
some way this can be achieved with PM. You can choose to
scan e-mail uni- or bi-directionally. This may influence
whether you think it's right for your situation.

You can try it for free for 30 days.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mark.