[afnog] SOLVED: Cisco 7204 VXR crashing and goes into reboot loop

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu Jun 10 16:31:17 UTC 2010

On Thursday 10 June 2010 06:15:17 pm Shepherd Magumo wrote:

> Thanks for the help, specifically Mark, Philip, Oluwaseun
>  and Bope.

Shepherd, glad to you hear you solved your problem.

Your testing sounds reasonably exhaustive per your
circumstances. Would suggest replacing your NPE-300 with one
that isn't defective if you have a chance. Note that this
board is now EoL/EoS, and as such, you can't buy it new from
Cisco. You can only get it on the refurbished market.

The NPE-400 or later are still current, in case you require
Cisco support in the future.

Also note that the last supported "current" release of IOS
for this platform (NPE-300) is 12.3(3)i - used to be
12.3(10)b, but that has since been deferred. That said, I've
run later code without problems, up to 12.3(22), I think,
although I'd recommend treading carefully if you need to run
something more current.

Cheers,

Mark.