[afnog] BGP Inbound Traffic Engineering

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Tue Jul 27 23:20:51 UTC 2010

--- imakwakwa at yahoo.com wrote:
From: Isaiah Makwakwa <imakwakwa at yahoo.com>

We would like to implement inbound traffic engineering. We are looking at implementing selective advertisement (advertising different subnets to different providers) as a BGP traffic engineering technique.

However we are unable to get a precise fix on best practice for doing so. In may places we have looked, it is an accepted practice, however there are some voices of concern that some operators would filter the routes (precisely  the prefixes would be around /20s and /21s).

I would like to get a more clearer view of what consists an acceptable policy.

Hello,

One way to TE your inbound traffic is to announce your aggregate to all your upstreams and then announce a more specific to the upstream you want to attract more traffic from.

Say you have a /20 and you have a bigger circuit to one provider that is not being utilized much, while the smaller circuit to the other provider is full.  You would announce the /20 to both providers and then announce a more specific prefix, say a /22, to the provider you want to attract more traffic from.  As long as the more specific is not longer than a /24, you can expect reasonable connectivity to the prefix.

One thing to watch for is how your address space is assigned.  Don't announce the more specific from the range your servers are in to attract more inbound traffic.  Announce the address space your "eyeball" customers are in.

If you give more information about your exact situation, I would be happy to help more, but do it on the list so everyone can participate in the discussion.

scott