[afnog] Central Logging on Debian

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Wed Jul 7 23:29:47 UTC 2010

On 7 Jul 2010, at 15:26, Benjamin Cobblah wrote:

> I am creating a central logging server where all my logs from switches, routers and workstations would go on a debian os. Would any one have an idea which application(s) i can use to achieve this?

Good evening, Benjamin

Others have already commented on the rsyslog and syslog-ng utilities, and you probably are testing these out now.  For the central log server itself, we are evaluating Splunk - http://www.splunk.com/

Splunk is designed to make archiving/searching your logs a simple job.  The project is open-source, but backed by a commercial company.  There were limits on the free version (max. logged lines per day) which I understand are removed now, though you should check that the limits of the free version are acceptable to you (or see if the commercial version is what you need.)

I hope this is useful

Andy