[afnog] Desktop fails to work in FreeBSD 8.0

Hervey Allen hervey at nsrc.org
Tue Jul 6 18:13:23 UTC 2010

On 7/6/10 8:34 AM, Patrick Okui wrote:
> Hi Geraldine,
>
> On 6 Jul, 2010, at 3:45 PM, geraldine daloeng wrote:
>
>> I installed gnome  and added gnome_enable=yes in the etc/rc.conf file
>> to start the desktop but this does not work. I installed Kde and added
>> kde_enable =yes in the etc/rc.conf file and it still does not work.
>> (gdm is also enabled)
>
> what is the output of pkg_info -E gnome\* xorg\*
>
> if you are following the sa-e installation notes (which I think were
> corrected on the website) we may have suggested picking gnome-desktop
> rather than the gnome2 meta-package. This will not select bits and
> pieces of xorg including graphics drivers.

I updated this before the CD was pressed...

> testing with an Ubuntu CD as Phil has suggested should eliminate this
> possibility over just an unsupported card.

But, as Patrick has noted, the gnome choices in the installer can be
confusing (gnome-desktop vs. gnome2). The correct choice is "gnome2".

I just saw this error appear in Ubuntu 9.10 as well. The Intel i810
on-board video driver has caused issues. We had two machines crash
due to memory errors with the driver.

If you did choose "gnome2" at install time let us know. I have a few
more things you can try.

Cheers,
	- Hervey