[afnog] Connectivity to www.afrinic.net

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Jul 6 08:13:15 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 06 July 2010 04:03:46 pm Dick Elleray at
AfriConnect wrote:

> At 09:19 GMT, 5 July 2010, SEACOM experienced a submarine
>  failure resulting in service downtime between Mumbai and
>  Mombasa. Current investigations indicate that a repeater
>  has failed on segment 9 of the SEACOM cable, which is
>  offshore to the north of Mombasa. This unexpected
>  failure affects traffic towards both India and Europe.
>  Traffic within Africa is not affected (i.e. - traffic to
>  African websites, such as .co.za).

Although a larger % of submarine systems are now carrying IP
traffic, I find it interesting that SEACOM, a non-IP
carrier, assume all traffic within Africa on their system is
to "web sites" :-).

But that's just me nit-picking, and maybe it is all to web
sites :-).

Mark.