[afnog] Catalyst 4908G-L3 layer 2 switching

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Jan 19 10:43:00 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 19 January 2010 06:30:08 pm Khoudia Gueye SY
wrote:

> I have a layer 3 switch, a Catalyst 3750G-12S and to
>  enable only switching and not routing, the no ip routing
>  and the switchport interface command work well.

Yes, but what I meant to say was running all Ethernet ports
on the switch in L2-only mode would work even with 'ip
routing' enabled.

The reason some of Cisco's Catalyst switching platforms have
this feature explicitly disabled by default is they assume
anybody enabling it plans to do inter-VLAN routing, which is
not always the case.

Cheers,

Mark.